Alberta to amend the “Right to Refuse” December 08 2017
On November 27th, The Alberta labour minister introduced a bill that proposed changes to the province’s health and safety provisions.
This proposal comes on the heels of an extended review of Alberta’s workplace rules; the first review of its kind since its inception in 1976.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- When an employee exercises their right to refuse unsafe work, the employer must continue to pay them while investigating their claim.
- Additional punitive action against employers who discriminate against employees exercising their workplace rights.
- Additional payments for family members of employees killed on the job.
- Removal of cap on benefit payments to injured employees.
- New health and safety committee requires
- New reporting requirements for workplace incidents
… Among others.
We will continue to report on this story as it develops.